We’re hiring someone to fill a Virtual Content Assistant role because we need your expertise and experience to help us accomplish our mission – to help people fall more in love with where they live.
Most online content is created to chase pageviews, not to leave a lasting impact. We love pageviews as much as anyone but we won’t sacrifice the quality of our content.
Instead, quality content is what drives us.
And, that’s where you come in!
You’ll be responsible for the visual nature of our content – choosing and managing the photos and graphics included in articles, working to link our content to relevant resources, and making sure our content provides our readers with the best possible experience.
We’ll also ask you to engage with our readers through email, helping other team members stay on top of reader questions and suggestions.
Who will you work with?
You’ll work directly with Ashley (Content Manager) and Matt (Owner), and other members of our content team.
Where and when do you work?
We won’t micromanage you. You can work from anywhere. You’ll need to join 2-4 monthly meetings with team members (generally between 11 am and 3 pm ET).
- Manage the user-generated content photo process for articles across our portfolio of websites. This includes researching, requesting, documenting consent, and publishing the photos inside of the appropriate articles. Having an eye for the right photo and a detailed oriented nature is needed throughout this process.
- Create interactive maps with Google Maps. This is a basic data entry-type task that requires attention to detail and some research to verify location correctness.
- Manage team email accounts. This would include sorting the inbox, forwarding emails to team members, and responding to general emails.
- Manage article comments. This would include approving relevant comments, responding when necessary, and alerting appropriate team members when action needs to be taken.
- Liaise and/or manage creative projects with third-party vendors. This could include working with freelancers on Fiverr or other platforms to create one-time projects to support individual articles or campaigns.
- Research upcoming projects. This includes brainstorming and doing the groundwork to plan new content or find resources for new projects – a good understanding of how to use Google and fact-checking abilities are required.
- Add affiliate links to relevant articles. This would be a data entry-type task that requires thoroughness.
- Fix broken links. This includes the ability to find the best source of information when the currently linked source is no longer available or accurate.
- Report to Content Manager weekly
- Join in bi-weekly team video conference meetings (Tuesdays at 1pm ET)
- Participate on team Slack channel (online chat board)
- Familiarity with Google Business Suite (Sheets, Docs, Drive, Gmail, etc.) and WordPress is preferred
The Ideal Person:
Characteristics of an ideal team member:
- Takes ownership
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Teachable/accepts feedback and learns from it
- Team player
- Time: Approx. 10 Hours/Week (may increase over time if desired)
- Pay: Competitive pay based on experience
- Where: This is a remote contract position and has a flexible schedule.
- Type: This is an independent contractor role.
- Trial: We’ll start with a 30-day trial to make sure it’s a good fit for both of us.
Our Team Values:
We strive to exhibit these values in everything we do and look for long-term people that will do the same:
- We take ownership and figure it out
- We strive for excellence in all things
- We show that we value relationships through kindness and respect
- We always do what we say we will do
- We look for ways to serve and support each other on the team and in our community
- We continuously look for ways to learn and grow
- We love to create
About Red Oak Local
We’re Red Oak Local – a local marketing company dedicated to building up local communities through the work that we do. We run several large travel websites, helping people explore where they live.
Red Oak Local Team Application
Want to join the Red Oak Local team? Fill out this application for consideration…