Hi Awesome Mitten reader!
We recently began the mass undertaking of recategorizing and formatting all of our past content (over 1500 posts in four years!) to make it more searchable and valuable for you. When I began this project, I mistakenly thought I could accomplish a lot of it in one day… I was wrong. Most of my time was occupied with working out some other bugs with the new website, and setting up a brand new store of curated Michigan products for your purchasing pleasure. But we’re working tirelessly to get the rest of it up and running for you!
So what changes can you expect to see now, and in the future?
- With our new website design, we decided to focus on where you’re living or going with a top-level navigation by “region” (think: Southeast MI, Northern MI, UP, etc.). Also, we have divided the homepage by “categories” (think: Food, Drink, Events, etc.) and you can find those in the footer as well. We want you to find the content that is relevant to you, so we have tried to make that as easy as possible. Each page will feature a post as well as all of the content that is relevant to that section.
- We also tweaked our general categories. We kept “Food“, “Drink“, and “Events“, because those are some of our top categories (and a few of our favorite things). We added “Guides“, which will be home to our guides to different Michigan destinations as well as random listacles. We also added “Culture“, and that will encompass everything else (aspects of Michigan life, Michigan art, unique businesses that aren’t food or drink related, etc). While we work to reorganize the new content, the new categories “Guides” and “Culture” will be a little bare. Stick with us, and check back often, as these will fill out quickly in the next few weeks.
- The footer now makes it way easier for you to communicate with us and find out more about what we’re doing. It is here you will find ways to contribute and how to advertise with us among many other fun things. We added our Instagram feed so you can see all sorts of #MittenLove, too.
- We love #TeamAwesome, so we created author pages that highlight all of the “awesome” work our team does for The Awesome Mitten. When you click on an author’s name anywhere on the site, you will be taken to a new page that features their bio, social media links, and any article they’ve written for The Awesome Mitten. We hope that you’ll take the time to get to know and connect with our writers.
- Posts might look a little wonky. With our new website, it seems that the formatting on our past posts didn’t all transfer in the most ideal way. Some pages may have images that are out of alignment, or that are extremely large.
- We have a new shop! As with the other pages, we’re exploring the best way to format our store. Hang in there while we work to get it right!
We’re VERY excited to get this all sorted out and give you the site you need to explore Michigan! Have another suggestion for a way we can improve? Comment below! We’d love to hear your suggestions!