When the weather warms and the sun starts a-shinin’, we here in the Awesome Mitten find any way to get outside and enjoy it!
Unfortunately, spring weather is about as consistent as any other season in the Mitten. So I’ve compiled a list of upcoming art fairs and festivals, located both indoors and out, to inspire and entertain you over until sandal temperatures return for good!
- ClayWorks Pottery is holding a Spring Pottery Sale at St. David’s Episcopal Church in Lansing. You can purchase pottery from roughly 40 local artists on Thursday, April 24 from 5 p.m. 8 p.m., Friday, April 25, 10 a.m. 8 p.m., and Saturday, April 26, from 10 a.m. 3 p.m.
- The West Michigan Potters Guild will be throwing its 21st Annual Springfest Show and Sale on April 26, at the St. Nicholas Cultural Center in Grand Rapids. Thirty-five ceramicists, weavers, and spinners will be present to talk about and sell their work.
- Black Sheep Weavers Fiber Guild Spring Fling Sale will take place from May 2, 4 p.m. 8 p.m., to May 3, 9 a.m. 4 p.m. The sale is occurring at the Harland Performing Arts Center Lobby in Howell. Handmade goods ranging from clothing to dolls to cards (and more!) will be available from local artists.
- Detroit’s Palmer Park Art Fair is making its grand return after a 30 year hiatus. From May 3, 10 a.m. 6 p.m., to May 4, 12 p.m. 5 p.m., join in on the free festivities at Palmer Park on Woodward. The art fair’s variety of media include metals and jewelry, sculptural and installation works, paintings, woodworking, blown glass, and many more.
- Shain Park in downtown Birmingham, hosts the 33rd Annual Art Birmingham on Saturday, May 10, from 10 a.m. 6 p.m., and Sunday, May 11, from 10 a.m. 5 p.m. Free admission makes this showcase of over 150 different artists a must-see!
- The East Lansing Art Festival, located across from the MSU campus, highlights over 200 North American artists, live music, international foods, and free kids activities on Saturday, May 17, from 10 a.m. 6 p.m., and Sunday, May 18, from 10 a.m. 5 p.m.
- The Anton Art Center features the Mt. Clemens Art Fair in downtown Mt. Clemens. Photography, painting, fiber, and more will be displayed at this festival on May 31 and June 1, from 10 a.m. 6 p.m. Artists interested in showing any work at the art fair must apply by May 9.
Support local artists and Michigan as a whole by joining your friends and family on an artistic adventure to one of our Awesome Mitten’s many creative hubs. If you know of any additional art festivals or fairs not listed above, let us know in the comments!